The Gluten Free Chronicles of Italy - Chapter 1


Eating my first week in Italy was a bit difficult. Not only was I adjusting to a new language and manners, but I was attempting to eat gluten free in a carb-based country.

Learning all new restaurant etiquette was, and still is, quite challenging. In Italy, it is almost always considered rude to deny food and not fully finish your meal. Well, I learned that quickly when I received many "scoffs" and death glares form numerous waiters as I turned away the pasta and pizza dishes I am allergic to.

However, me being the weirdo that goes to carb-country when allergic to carbs, I've begun to pick up phrases in Italian that would help me express to the waiter I can't eat the food, not that I don't want it. People have finally begun to understand me and I am finding tons of restaurants that will have gluten free items or even a full gluten free menu.

So far, I've been given risotto, gluten-free pasta, and even gluten-free pizza! All of which were amazing. And I mean, even if I have to settle for a plate of vegetables (has happened), I am completely fine with adding gelato to the end of my meal. One of the restaurants that had a gluten-free menu even included a home-made gluten-free tiramisu! Unfortunately, I was too full after eating an entire pizza (yes, it happened) that I decided I needed to just come back and get the tiramisu instead of making myself sick.

The grocery stores also have isles of gluten free products! Their gluten free bread and crackers taste way better than even regular American bread and crackers....

I'm surprised even with the short amount of time I have been here, I have already found a good amount of gluten free substitutions for traditional Italian dishes! ...and I can't wait to find more

PS: No pictures are available because I consumed all of my food before I could even think about documenting it due to immense hunger and excitement 
(picture source: Google - not me - but it works)

Things I've Learned about Gluten Free in Italy...
-It's actually possible to be gluten free in Italy
-Yes, sometimes you will have to settle for a salad (but their salads are amazing)
-Every Italian child is tested for celiac or gluten intolerance early in their lifetime
-Gelato can be your meal if pasta is everyone else's...
-Gluten free products are better than normal American food

Comments

Popular Posts